Friday, June 30, 2017

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store - Distress Oxide Ink Backgrounds and Stamping with Water Tutorial

Hello everyone and happy Friday!  Today, is my day to post for The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store and I have a fun, easy, and inky tutorial to share with you using some of the Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks.  These inks are fantastic for backgrounds!  


Here is a look at the cards I designed.  You can click on the image to enlarge the picture and see more detail.  I wanted to play around with a few color combinations so I couldn't just make one card lol.  For two of the cards (the top and left cards) I did ink blending and for the card on the right I did some ink smooshing--now there is a technical term for you lol.  So you can create this background with ink blending or ink smooshing.  It just depends on the look you like.


For the first card I did ink blending on the smooth side of Ranger Watercolor Paper,  I used  Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks Fossilized Amber, Broken China, and Cracked Pistachio.  I used ink blenders to get a nice smooth blend.


I am using one of the stamps from the Altenew - Floral Shadow clear stamp set.  To wet the stamp I used water.  I hold the stamp about 6 inches away and I spray four times with the  Distress Sprayer Bottle.  If you have a different spray bottle you'll have to text it out and see how many times you need to spray the water to get a good coverage on the stamp.


Once I spray the stamp with water I stamp it onto the paper and I hold it in place for about 10 seconds.  This way the water has a good chance to soak into the ink and paper.  Doing this will remove some of the ink so be sure to use a baby wipe to clean the stamp in between each time of stamping.  Once you have all of the stamping done use a heat tool to heat set the ink and dry the paper. Easy peasy!


Here is a close up of the finished card.  The sentiment is also from the same stamp set.  I used VersaMark Ink to stamp the sentiment onto a piece of black cardstock.  Then I add Ranger Super Fine White Embossing Powder and used a heat tool to melt and heat set the powder.  I cut the sentiment into a strip and then fussy cut out a notch to make a banner end.  I added some Foam Tape to the back of the sentiment to pop it up a little.  I used a variety of enamel dots from My Mind's Eye Record It "Pretty Things"Simple Stories I AM, and Simple Stories Enchanted on all three cards. Then I added the card front to a white A2 top folding card.


For the second card I did the ink smooshing technique and I added ink to my craft mat and sprayed it with water.  I used Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks - Worn LipstickSpiced Marmalade, and Fossilized Amber.  Next just smoosh, drag, or tap down your piece of paper in the inks. Use a heat tool to dry the ink and your paper.  You can do this step as many times as you would like as long as you heat set your paper in between the layers of ink.


Here is a look at the paper once all of the inking is done.  I love all the layers of color!  To finish the background do the stamping with water just like the first card.


Here is a look at the finished card.




Here is a look at the background after the stamping is done.


 I wanted to add some water droplets so I used the Distress Sprayer Bottle.  If you squeeze the trigger slowly and halfway you will create larger water droplets.  Let the water sit on top of the paper for a few seconds and then use a paper towel to blot up the water and used a heat tool to dry the paper.


Here is a look at the last card.  Stamping with water--it couldn't be any easier.  Now, I want you to know I am not the first person to do this technique.  You can also do this technique with Distress Inks.  Bold images seem to work best.  You can add less water for a crisper stamped image or more water for a watercolor look.  Its up to you--have fun playing with your inks!

Thanks so much for joining me today and I hope you liked the tutorial.  To see more inspiration you can visit the Stamp Simply Blog.  Also check out The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store for inks, stamps, dies, paper and all kinds of paper crafting goodies.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi


Supplies
Stamps:  Altenew - Floral Shadow
Paper:  Ranger Watercolor Paper, Cardstock - White, Black
Inks:  Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks - Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marmalade, Fossilized Amber, Broken China, Cracked Pistachio, Faded Jeans, Wilted Violet, Vintage Photo, VersaMark Ink
Accessories:  Distress Sprayer Bottle, EK Success Powder Tool, Ranger Super Fine White Embossing Powder, My Mind's Eye Record It "Pretty Things" Enamel Dots, Simple Stories I AM Enamel Dots, Simple Stories Enchanted Enamel Dots, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L E-Z Runner, Foam Tape, Heat Tool

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about using stamps and water on the oxide inks. Great idea and beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really beautiful Heidi, the Oxide inks look so fantastic to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...